High res with Tidal Connect

Posted 5 months by J M

Post a topic
Implemented
J
J M

It seems that no matter the option, I can only achieve 44.1/16 with Tidal Connect (confirmed in Wiim App).  I'm using SPDIF with 192/24 option selected.  Using Schiit Modi DAC.  

I'm am enjoying the function and ease of this device, but the lack of high resolution streaming is leading me to use other options for critical listening.  

Thank you for your time.

0 Votes

23 Comments

Sorted by
P

Pugluv63 posted 4 months

Thanks I understand I can use Tidal Connect but I have no way to then engage the UP&P compliant Panasonic 9000 so I can use its DAC…

I’m currently using MConnect which then engages Tidal on my IPad and Mconnect sees the Panasonic as a UP&P compliant option that allows me to then use the Panasonic DAC…

is there anything similar I could do with the Wiim?

0 Votes

P

Pugluv63 posted 4 months

Thanks…I understand I can stream the TIDAL master hi-res music with TIDAL native app to WiiM Mini with TIDAL connect but since the Panasonic 9000 has no inputs, I’m trying to find a way to go from my iPad using Tidal to the Panasonic so I can use the Panasonic Dac…Right now I use Mconnect from my iPad to engage Tidal and Mconnect sees the Panasonic 9000 as UP&P so it can use the Panasonic Dac…Is there anything similar I could do with the Wiim?

0 Votes

W

WiiM Support posted 4 months

Hi there, WiiM Mini can only serve as the DLNA digital media render and can't be used as the digital media server. You can stream the TIDAL master hi-res music with TIDAL native app to WiiM Mini with TIDAL connect. It supports up to 192k/24-bit audio from TIDAL in the bit perfect fashion. 

0 Votes

P

Pugluv63 posted 4 months

Hi Folks…I see the Wiim streamer supports UP&P…Will the Wiim allow me to run the Tidal native app from my IPad, allow me to choose my UP&P compliant Panasonic UB9000 wirelessly, and allow me to hear Tidal master tracks using the analog output of my Panasonic 9000? In this config, whats the MAX Tidal Master res supported? Thanks

0 Votes

W

Since 5/31, TIDAL master has been supported when using TIDAL Connect from the TIDAL native App. Here is the tutorial article about the type of master content is currently supported by WiiM Mini.  

0 Votes

V

Vincent Yong posted 4 months

@HappyWiiuser

Thanks, Oops yes you are correct, I meant Step 1.

Since Wiim is a streamer, all music apps are to be invoke from within Wiim support features.and hence maximise use of whatever wiim can support which is evolving and improving [hopefully] over time. Meanwhile the 6/15 update is pending. 

I am not certain if Wiim will add MQA unfolding later and to the extent by modfiying their software such that you may not need MQA certified DAC to do the unfolding. If that happens, that will be a bonus which I doubt much.

My humble opinion is that until MQA becomes an industry adopted Gold standard just like old Dolby sound system of the past, my only way to circumventing it without having to spend dollars on a new DAC will be to cross over to Qobuz and ditch Tidal because the present DAC hardware is capable of resolving much higher sampling rate but incapable of further unfolding MQA. 

0 Votes

H

HappyWiiMuser posted 4 months

@vincent yong

"The upcoming 6/15 update will eliminate the need for step 2 ?"

Do you mean eliminate Step 1?

In the end I imagine you want to just only use the actual Tidal app and just play straight to WiiM Mini, without needing to open WiiM Home app?

Latest firmware will only support 44.1k or 48k to your DAC.

If WiiM add MQA unfolding later, then your DAC can see 88.2/96k, just like current USB connection.

0 Votes

V

Hi Support 

With the most recent software update, this is what I got after testing :--

1..Open Wiim app [do not open the Tidal app within wiim]

2. Play Tidal Connect using the Tidal supplied app. 

3. On the Tidal supplied app,flow [passthrough]  this song using wiim as a player.

4. Below image shows "Master with the Bit rate info display.

5. I am not sure if I am doing the correct steps ? 

6  The upcoming 6/15 update will eliminate the need for step 2 ?

above is using mobile phone having wiim SPDIF out to a budget Fiio K5 DAC optical in which I think is not capable of 2nd stage unfold or what is known as a MQA renderer,  The same song if played using USB achieved 88.2 hz.This is as good as it can go without paying an arm and a leg as Hi End quality sound hardware is expensive ..

0 Votes

V

Hi Vadimir, yes, your observation as described above is correct,  that is to say that currently in Wiim, it plays HIFI.. Just as Support team have advise above,  we are now anxiously waiting for the updated software which is coming in the next 2 days ... 

1 Votes

W

Hi Vladimir, the new firmware supporting TIDAL master will be updated within the next two days. Please stay tuned! 

1 Votes

V

Vladimir Jovanović posted 4 months

Hi Vincent, In Tidal Connect, when you switch to WiiM, does it play "Master", or it plays "HIFI"? Mine is still switching back to HIFI when I play a Master track on WiiM. Thanks Vlada

0 Votes

V

Vladimir Jovanović posted 4 months

Hello, I have updated the WiiM Home app yesterday and my Tidal app is also up-to-date. But still, when I play a Master track, Tidal reverts to "HIFI", it does not stay "Master". Should it be like this? Do we actually have hi-res in Tidal Connect over WiiM or not? Thanks Vlada

0 Votes

V

Dear Support, Many thanks for prompt reply. Please accept my compliments for the excellent job!! . Thank you very much...

0 Votes

W

Hi Vincent, yes, 5/31 from TIDAL Connect, 6/15 from WiiM Home App. 

0 Votes

V

Dear Support, Many thanks for the prompt reply. The "next update" in your above reply refers to May 31.,?

0 Votes

W

Hi Vincent, the next update regarding TIDAL master doesn't include the MQA. Besides the MQA, in TIDAL master, you can also have lossless music contents beyond 44.1k/16-bit (i.e., 48kHz/24-bit or more). The new release supports this type of content from both TIDAL Connect and WiiM Home App. Hope it's clear.    

0 Votes

V

Dear Support: Thank you for your update on MQA work in progress. On your reply above, does it mean that come June 15, Wiim will be able to support 96khz/24 bit or upwards ?

0 Votes

J

J M posted 4 months

That's fantastic news! Excellent work Wiim!

0 Votes

W

The new release on 5/31 can support master quality (48kHz/24 bit or up) with TIDAL Connect. It can't support MQA though. The TIDAL on WiiM Home App will support master quality around 6/15. Please stay tuned! 

1 Votes

V

Vincent Yong posted 5 months

Yes, I have a similar issue on what U described when switch back to mobile phone, it shows playback "Master". Wiim currently does not support MQA [understand this is still work in progress] and hopfully upcoming software upgrade will have it fix.

1 Votes

V

Vladimir Jovanović posted 5 months

I have a following issue with Tidal Connect: if I play a "master" track, Tidal Connect reverts to "HiFi" when connected to WiiM. If I switch back to my mobile phone (for example) during playback of that track, the screen shows "Master" again. Does anyone have a similar issue? Is WiiM Mini actually MQA compatible at all? Maybe that's the cause of this behaviour?

1 Votes

V

Vladimir Jovanović posted 5 months

Hello, Where in the WiiM app do you see the bit rate and sampling frequency? I can't see those data on the "now playing" screen, I can only see the "HiFi" logo next to track name.

0 Votes

P

Pugluv63 posted 5 months

Agreed, I’m having the same issue…not good and rather disappointing…

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment